Any death is devastating for the family and loved ones left behind. When the premature death is as a result of the negligence of another, the survivor can bring a civil claim for wrongful death to help the survivors manage their financial situation after such a heartbreaking and devastating loss. It is important to know that the statute of limitations in Florida for wrongful death is shorter than regular negligence case.
The elements of wrongful death action in Florida are as follows:
- The Defendant had legal duty to the victim.
- The Defendant breached the duty.
- The victim died as a result of the breach.
- The damages incurred by the victims and the survivors
Damages allowed under the wrongful death statute are as follows:
- Loss of past and future Support and Services
- Loss of past and future Companionship, Instruction and Guidance
- Loss of past and future comfort, Attention and Protection
- Mental Pain and Suffering
- Medical and Funeral Expenses
- Net Accumulations
- Loss of future income
- Loss of earning from date of injury until date of death
Hence, it important that if your family suffered the ultimate loss, you retain a personal injury attorney to protect the survivors’ rights and financial survival.
The Law Office of Gal Sinclair handle wrongful death cases so please
call us for free consultation 305-262-1600